How do I Enroll My Student?
New Edmond residents who need to enroll their children in Edmond Public Schools should visit their neighborhood school, not the district headquarters.
Documentation needed at the time of enrollment includes two verifiable proofs of residency, a legal birth certificate, immunization records and a photo ID of the parent or guardian. To speed up the enrollment process, parents are encouraged to download and complete the necessary forms in the enrollment packet (one packet for each child you wish to enroll) in advance. Children must live in Edmond to enroll in Edmond schools.
To speed up the enrollment process, parents are encouraged to download and complete the necessary enrollment forms in advance.
The enrollment process requires:
- Two proofs of residency. State law states that a child’s residence is the school district in which the parent/legal guardian/legal custodian holds legal residence. (There can be penalties for falsifying residency).
- A current bill for gas, electric, or water and sewer (telephone and cable bills are not accepted)
- A current lease agreement, contract on a home (where you will be residing within 45 days), warranty deed statement, or mortgage statement.
- Legal birth certificate. It must be the certificate issued by the state or county where the child was born – not the hospital record. The child must be five 5 years old on or before Sept. 1, of the current school year to enter kindergarten.
- Parent/Guardian photo ID. The biological, foster or adoptive parent may enroll the student. A driver’s license or any other photo ID is acceptable. Guardians must have proper copies of court authorization. In cases of divorce, custody documentation is required, if applicable.
- Immunization record-The state requires acceptable evidence of adequate immunization before a child may be enrolled in any school in Oklahoma. 2017-2018 Immunization Requirements
For the purposes of enrollment, a person having “legal custody” is legally responsible for the care of the child pursuant to a court order or agency responsible for making custody determinations and/or placements.
Custody affidavit forms, notarized affidavits obtained from the custodial parent giving care and custody to another individual, or power of attorney documents will not be accepted.
If a divorce has been granted, the decree will state which parent has legal custody. If the decree awards joint custody and each parent contributes in “substantial degree” to the child’s support while they have custody, then the residence in which the child resides on a regular basis determines the legal residency of the child.
Kindergarten preregistration was held in March at all Edmond elementary schools except for Russell Dougherty and Clegern Elementary which are open enrollment schools.
If you are new to Edmond and have a child who is five years old on or before September 1, 2017, you should register your child at their neighborhood school. School boundaries can be found at: http://edmondschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/2016-2017-Boundaries.pdf
Parents should bring the following items when preregistering their child:
- Two proofs of residency – A current gas, electric or water and sewer bill and a mortgage contract, deed or lease agreement.
- Legal birth certificate – A certificate issued by the state or county where the child was born. He or she must be five (5) years old on or before September 1, 2017.
- Immunization record- the state requires records provided by a licensed physician or public health authority that clearly indicates which immunizations have been received, the dates they were administered and the signature or stamp of the physician or health clinic that administered the immunizations or interpreted the immunization history.
For more information, contact Judy Thomas at Edmond Public Schools’ district headquarters at 340-2823 or go to your neighborhood school.
To understand more about what your children will be learning in kindergarten, click here: Getting Ready for Kindergarten
For questions about Pre-K Enrollment, tap the link.