Teachers and leaders at EPS believe that preparing students to be college & career ready requires strategic learning experiences relative to content standards and post-secondary expectations that include the following:
- Environments that inspire mutual respect among all learners;
- Optimism that equips learners with the tools and attitudes to approach problem-solving with grit, perseverance, & confidence;
- Inquiry that builds on natural curiosity;
- Opportunities to merge content objectives with meaningful application and processes;
- Robust student-centered activities, marked by collaborative conversations;
- Support that honors the natural disequilibrium between the struggle to learn and the celebration of mastery;
- Optimal levels of individual student growth, continuously monitored for understanding;
- Feedback combined with self-assessment that empowers students to set incremental goals toward long-term results;
- Effective communication that demonstrates acquired knowledge and skills.
The state legislature approved new standards beginning the 2016-2017 school year. Edmond Public Schools developed a timeline to provide teachers in-depth training about the new standards. The district’s curriculum department worked closely with administrators and teachers to ensure that the content, depth, and rigor of the standards prepare students for college and career success.
To learn more about the standards click here:
High School Courses: