Edmond Public Schools is committed to the safety and well-being of all students and staff members. Considerable time and effort go into practicing and enhancing school safety and security. The district’s comprehensive school safety strategy includes:
- Coordination and emergency planning with Edmond and Oklahoma City police, fire, and safety officials
- Coordination with Oklahoma County Health Department
- Comprehensive safety plans for each school that are updated at a minimum annually–plans include evacuation, shelter-in-place, and parent communication
- Crisis management and intervention teams in all school
- Eleven School Resource officers are assigned to each High School and Middle School as well as Boulevard Academy. Edmond patrol officers frequent our elementary schools throughout the day. An Oklahoma County Deputy is assigned to Summit Middle School since that school is located within Oklahoma City limits.
- Secured vestibules with a 2-way talk station to the front office. The office door is locked at all times and can only be opened for the public via office staff using a door release or from the inside using the handle. Staff can enter using swipe badges.
- Every secured vestibule has an SSID kiosk that is used to check students in and out of the building. Student, late arrival and early dismissal can be conducted 100% through the kiosk and 2-way talk station.
- Access Control doors are strategically placed around the building at all sites. All staff has swipe access, along with high school students. The door schedules are managed digitally through the system. Employee/visitor identification badges are issued through Safe Schools ID
- Interior and exterior cameras at all educational sites
- Emergency “Go” kits in every school ready in the event of an emergency
- Ten safety drills that are conducted during the school year (4 fire, 2 lockdown, 2 intruder, 2 weather)
- Defibrillators in place and tested regularly
- Bus loading/drop-off areas monitored by staff
- Shatterproof film is currently being installed at all educational sites except scissortail because of the ongoing construction. Areas considered potential entry points have the film.
- Ongoing employee training
What can you do to enhance safety? Read More